Tacos with Mushrooms and Tofu
An unusual and delicious low-fat snack.
Vegetarian; can be made vegan. Hands-on time: 12 mins. Total time: 12 mins.
Contributed by (March 2003).
This unusual way of filling tacos will appeal to anyone looking for a meat-free version of the popular Mexican snack. It is easy to prepare - and quite delicious.
- 1 pack taco shells (6 - 8 shells) (check the label to make sure they don't contain animal fats)
- Oil for frying
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 4 - 6 medium mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup (6 oz, 175 g) mashed tofu
- ¼ tsp. chili powder or a hot chili sauce
- A few lettuce leaves, shredded
- 4 - 6 tbsp. sour cream or plain yogurt (optional; for vegan version, use soya yogurt)
Optionally, warm the taco shells in a low oven while you are preparing the filling.
Lightly fry the onion in the oil for a few minutes, add the bell pepper, and cook until both are soft. Add the mushrooms, tofu and chili. Cook for a few minutes more.
Place a little of the shredded lettuce in the bottom of each taco shell. Divide the filling between the shells, and garnish with the sour cream or yogurt.
Note on quantities and temperatures:
Quantities are given in American (cups), imperial (oz, fl oz) and metric (g, ml) units. Do not mix the units - use one or other system throughout the recipe.
See also How much does a cup weigh?
oz = ounces, fl oz = fluid ounces, g = grams, ml = milliliters, tsp = teaspoons, tbsp = tablespoons.
Oven temperatures are given in degrees F (Fahrenheit) and C (Celsius).
For fan-assisted ovens, reduce the temperature by 20F or 10C.